Rudd’s Way (or where Kevin Rudd went wrong) by Nicholas Stuart

by |July 6, 2010

Based on an extensive series of detailed and off-the-record interviews, Nicholas Stuart — Kevin Rudd’s biographer and the author of an acclaimed study into the 2007 election — provides a critical examination of Labor in office and of the key events and crucial moments leading to Rudd’s downfall.

Rudd’s Way presents the first in-depth analysis of the way that Kevin Rudd’s government worked and why Labor eventually decided its leader had to be removed. Stuart argues that, more than under any previous government, the policies and direction of Australia over the period from November 2007 to June 2010 were set by just one man — Prime Minister Kevin Rudd — until he fi nally overreached himself and threatened to lead the party to electoral oblivion.

The background events and policy blunders that led to Rudd’s fall are described here in gripping detail, until we come to the final cataclysmic moment when the prime minister realised he’d been abandoned by the very team he’d led to government. It is the tragic story of a man who wanted to achieve much, but who was eventually unable to take action on the one problem he wanted to do more about than anything else — climate change.

This is a book that no voter who wants to understand the challenges of the future can afford to be without.

Nicholas Stuart joined the ABC in 1985, worked in Radio News, ABC Radio Current Affairs, and ABC TV, and was the ABC’s Indochina correspondent before returning to Australia after a severe car accident. He is a regular columnist for the Canberra Times, and has written two critically acclaimed books analysing Labor and politics: Kevin Rudd: an unauthorised political biography and What Goes Up: behind the 2007 election.

Rudd’s Way is under embargo until July 17 and can be pre-ordered here.

Comments

• July 6, 2010 at 8:22 am

They say timing is crucial, if Rudd’s Way is just out now, what a lot of free publicity it is getting. The publisher couldn’t have orchestrated it better.

I wish I could this much publicity for one of my novels.

Cheers

Margaret

• July 15, 2010 at 12:32 am

Just to let you know, I was very lucky.

There are two ‘ideal’ moments for a political assasination – one is just before the Christmas holidays; the other is before parliament’s long winter recess in the middle of the year. Julia Gillard’s team struck on the last sitting day in June . . . just before the break. The date of the ‘hit’ was, I suspect, chosen with care.

And actually it was my publisher, Scribe’s Henry Rosenbloom, who was encouraging me to wait until I had the entire story for the book, instead of rushing into print too early.

When I began the book I had no idea how it would all turn out . . .

Good luck with your novel. If mine had been fiction rather than fact, I suspect everyone would have thought it utterly implausable,

Nic Stuart

• toniwhitmont

July 6, 2010 at 9:45 am

Maybe you could work our Julia into your next plotline?

• July 8, 2010 at 11:10 am

Hi Toni,
      Now that is a good idea. I’ll have to get my creative juices flowing.

• July 6, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I found your site through the Australian Book Bloggers Directory! I love meet fellow book bloggers, and Australian book bloggers even more! Nice to meet you 🙂

They sure got this book out quick! Although, that shouldn’t surprise me. They always do.

Rachel
    And the plot thickens…

• toniwhitmont

July 8, 2010 at 11:02 am

Welcome aboard Rachel!

Yep, it will be a very quick turn around on this one. I do feel sorry however for all those journos who were putting their finishing touches on Rudd and the election books which were all coming out over the next month or too. There are going to be some massive re-writes.

• July 8, 2010 at 11:11 am

Hi Rachel,
      Nice to meet you.

Cheers

Margaret

• Marshall Willan

July 6, 2010 at 2:47 pm

On the evening of Rudd’s departure I asked myself “From the absolute pinnacle twelve months ago to being completely unpopular one year later,where did it all go wrong Kevin”?
    This book must give a clue on such a momentous day in Australia’s political history.

• August 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Journalists such as Peter Hatcher were offering insights all year in where it all went wrong. It would seem Mr Rudd was not taking gratuitous advice, but it must be obvious that he appeared confused about when to stand firm (climate change) and when to compromise (mining tax). He got them the wrong way around.

• March 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

This book is an even more interesting read after last Monday’s events. Now we can sit back and observe how Mr Rudd behaves as a back bench ‘has-been’, after occupying the two most important jobs in politics, while Julia Gillard fends off questions about why she made him foreign minister. Rudd could still bring down the Government if he wanted to and therefore he’s powerful. The next 18 months will reveal the true character of Kevin Rudd.