The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet – Fast & Fresh Recipes
Australia’s favourite weight-loss program.
The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet has already inspired thousands of Australians to lose weight and improve their overall health. This new collection of recipes based on the scientifically proven program offers 120 new ideas for making mouth-watering meals in no time at all.
These are must-have recipes for those already using the diet, and a delicious introduction to a healthy eating plan for those trying the diet for the first time. Highlights include:
- Quick and flavoursome lunches with more appeal than the humble sandwich
- Fast, simple dinners the whole family will enjoy for those busy weeknights
- Plenty of ideas for fabulous salads and vegetable dishes to expand your repertoire
- Easy options for entertaining, plus blokey favourites and hearty one-pot dishes.
Lose weight and boost your vitality while enjoying the pleasures of good food.
Pumpkin Lentil Rocket And Beef Salad
This earthy salad has something to please everyone and is a great lunch option. Use pitted black olives instead of the tapenade if you like.
1 serve =
1 unit protein
1 unit bread
1 1/2 units vegetables
1 unit fats
Prep 15 mins Cook 30 mins Serves 4
1 kg pumpkin (squash), peeled, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 x 200 g beef steaks, such as sirloin, trimmed of fat
1 x 400 g tinned lentils, drained
small handful basil leaves
large handful baby spinach leaves
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons tapenade
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Spray a roasting tin with olive oil, toss in the pumpkin pieces and roast for 30 minutes or until tender and golden. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat a chargrill plate or heavy-based frying pan over medium–high heat. Spray the steaks lightly with olive oil, then cook for 3 minutes on each side for medium–rare or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat and leave to rest, covered, for 5 minutes, before slicing thickly.
- Place all the ingredients, except the tapenade, in a large bowl and toss gently to combine well. Divide among bowls or plates, then add a spoonful of tapenade and serve immediately.
Tip: Add 75–100 g blanched green beans per person to increase the vegetable content.
Free recipe from The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet: Fast & Fresh Recipes, Pumpkin, Lentil, Rocket and Beef Salad, page 34.
About the Contributor
While still in his twenties, John Purcell opened a second-hand bookshop in Mosman, Sydney, in which he sat for ten years reading, ranting and writing. Since then he has written, under a pseudonym, a series of very successful novels, interviewed hundreds of writers about their work, appeared at writers’ festivals, on TV (most bizarrely in comedian Luke McGregor’s documentary Luke Warm Sex) and has been featured in prominent newspapers and magazines. Now, as the Director of Books at booktopia.com.au, Australia’s largest online bookseller, he supports Australian writing in all its forms. He lives in Sydney with his wife, two children, three dogs, five cats, unnumbered gold fish and his overlarge book collection.